Tuesday, July 3, 2018

MIRACLES

4th of July

Growing up my brother Jason and I had two posters hanging up on the wall in the bathroom. One was a poster of Michael Jordan doing one of his gravity-defying dunks. The other one was a picture of the Tetons in Jackson Hole with the caption, "You only have to open your eyes to see the hand of God." (ironically enough , both Jason and I grew up believing that Michael Jordan and God were one in the same). As it turns out, it took me coming to prison to truly see all the miracles that have come from God's hand in my life.

Fifteen years ago, Sallie, Maggie and I were at her parent's buffalo ranch in Idaho. There are few places as beautiful as Medicine Lodge Ranch in the summer-and there is certainly no better place to fly fish. Sallie was 6 1/2 months pregnant and in the middle of the night, 2 hours from the nearest hospital-she went into pre-term labor. I remember waking up Doc and Michele and telling them something was wrong as they scrambled to help me and Sallie. Doc had his helicopter up there and as we were trying to decide whether to fly her out or drive, I remember something Doc had told me before about how dangerous it is to fly in the canyon at night because its so dark it's hard to see the mountains. With how badly Sal was, Doc ran out to start the chopper and I just had a feeling I should drive her. I don't think I even told Doc I was driving her, but after Michele had described how to get to the hospital in Idaho Falls, we left in the car.

We made it to the hospital with a crew waiting for us as Doc had called ahead and told them we were coming. Five minutes after we got there, our beautiful Navy Louise was born. Everything about that night was a miracle, there were so many, including my baby blue who is 15 today, the 4th of July.

We have always told her the fireworks are for her-I hope she never stops believing that. Happy Birthday to the most stunningly beautiful, funny, witty, kind hearted, hard working girl in the world. I hope you know that I would do anything to be with you today and hold you while we watch all those birthday fireworks with you-you are a miracle.

We were called out to a small 60 acre fire this past week that was located in Glenwood Springs-about 40 miles from Rifle. We were able to lead the initial attack on the fire and I'm proud to say that we played a huge part in containing the fire. We helped protect and save homes, land, and forests. We were able to camp under the stars (no tents) for the 3 nights we were on the fire. I was overwhelmed laying on my back and seeing the majesty of our universe. I couldn't help but be overwhelmed by the miracles that surrounded me-the stars, the mountains, and somehow camping while in prison, making the fire team, the best wife and kids ever, our families and amazing friends, supportive business partners and all of you who support us by reading this blog.

I am overwhelmed by the miracles that have happened to me since being here. Some of them I've shared with you-others are far too personal to talk about in the wrong setting.

One of my favorite scriptures in the Bible is when Paul is speaking to the Philippians (4:11-13)

11-Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

12-I know how to abound: everywhere and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

13- I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

I have started to see that when I take the time to consider all that I have to be grateful for, I am overwhelmed with the miracles in my life. When I get pre-occupied with my trials, mistakes, current address, I get lost in my own despair.

I hope that we can all take a moment to consider the miracles in our life-every year on July 4th, I am reminded of two of my favorite miracles-my little Navy and the little lot of land we live on often referred to as the, "Land of the free and home of the Brave."

Happy Birthday baby blue, I will be thinking of you extra today, I'd give anything to be there celebrating you. Love you baby girl, Love Dad
Brandon Stephens, Weld County Jail, Wood Group, Sentenced, 5 Years, Prison, NFL, DRDC, Rifle Correctional Center, Colorado Department of Corrections, Jail, Judge Quammen, Steve Wrenn, Weld County, Executive, Oil, Gas, White Collar, Wood, BYU, Masters Degree, Colorado State University, SWIFT, Firefighter, Wildland, Sawyer, Fire, Inmate, Brandon Stokey, Miracles, Centennial Community Correctional Center, Delta Correctional Center, DRDC, Denver Diagnostic and Reception Center, Felony, Sallie Stephens, Greeley Tribune, Judge Thomas Quammen, DA Steve Wrenn, Weld County Court, Oil & Gas,. Halfway House, Centennial Community Correction Center, CCTC, Felon, 416 Fire, Silver Creek Fire, Spring Fire, Cabin Lake Fire

2 comments:

  1. Hello bossman. How are you doing?
    I have been praying for you and that the Lord will bless you and keep you in His arms of protection. Can I send you a care package? If so let me know. Sincerely
    Harold Wright Sr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this so much! ♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete

Home

Shortly before the sun peaked over the Rocky Mountains this morning, I packed up a few last items from my bachelors pad, loaded them in the ...