Monday, July 9, 2018

Tribute to my Grandpa

One of my biggest regrets while being here is the fact that I missed saying goodbye to my Grandpa Stephens before he passed away. I missed his funeral and I will forever regret that. I loved spending time with him as a child and as an adult; and because of that, we built a special relationship with each other. I could talk to him about anything and everything. He always loved my Sal from when she was my girlfriend, and as she became my wife, and she sure loved him back. I appreciated his advice, humor and time he spent with me, my wife, and my kids. 
My cousin Nate spoke at his funeral, Sallie said he did a great job and I have no doubt he made Grandpa proud. I wrote the following for Nate to read on my behalf at Grandpa's funeral. My Grandpa was a good, good man who loved me and made sure I felt that and knew how proud of me he was, even in my current circumstance. 


It was a warm summer evening in Montpelier, ID. Grandpa and I were walking through the hay fields, checking the sprinkler lines one last time before sunset. I was exhausted from the long day of work. Grandpa had picked me up from my parents house in Logan at 5:30 am and we had made the drive over to the farm. I loved riding in the truck with Grandpa- he always told me such good stories as we drove. He'd even sometimes have a Pepsi or Coke waiting for me - he'd wink at me as he handed me the can to ensure that I knew that it was "our little secret". He knew I wasn't allowed to drink caffeine at home-but he also knew that Grandpas existed to bend some rules. Grandma would also make sure to pack us a loaf of her incredible homemade bread. I cherished those 90 minute drives in Grandpa's truck, stuffing my face with Grandma's homemade bread, sipping on a cold can of Coke, listening to Grandpa's stories, all while some lady named Patsy sang in the background about "going on walks after midnight"( which as a kid I never understood but Grandpa seemed to enjoy) 
As Grandpa and I walked through the hayfield he must have sensed my exhaustion. He waited for me to catch up to him, put his hand on my shoulder and assured me that we only had one last sprinkler line to check. By now the sun had started its dip below the horizon- in another 30 minutes it would be dark.
As we approached the line, Grandpa grabbed ahold of the sprinkler riser and unlatched a piece of pipe. Immediately, there was a huge explosion and a very pressurized stream of water blew the top of the riser off. I watched in terror as the riser shot 30 feet into the air; luckily it landed 20 feet away from us. 
It was the equivalent of a fire hydrant coming apart. Grandpa and I were immediately soaked to the bone with the chilly irrigation water. After making sure that I wasn't hurt, he ran down to the shutoff valve and turned the water off. After the water was turned off, Grandpa came walking back down to where I was. As we approached each other the most unlikely thing happened- we both looked at each other, hugged and then simultaneously burst out in laughter. I had never seen my Grandpa laugh so hard. It was probably a combination of the relief that neither of us was hurt combined with the sight of a Grandpa and grandson soaked like fish in a Montpelier hayfield. We sat down in that field, exhausted from what had just transpired, laughed at ourselves some more and watched the last rays of the sun dance across the beautiful fields of what was once The Stephens Farm. 
If heaven is full of the greatest things from this life then I have surely not taken my last truck ride with my Grandpa Stephens. I'm so grateful for the knowledge that life does not end with our mortal existence here on earth. Because of our Savior, Jesus Christ, we will all live again. 
I pray that the hay fields of heaven are as beautiful as they are in my dreams. I want to spend a day working and laughing in them with my Grandpa Stephens- just like we used to many years ago. And maybe, if it really is heaven, Grandma will be there too with some of her homemade bread. 
I'll close by holding up an imaginary can of Coke and saying, "here's to one of the greatest men I've ever known". I love you Grandpa!


2 comments:

Home

Shortly before the sun peaked over the Rocky Mountains this morning, I packed up a few last items from my bachelors pad, loaded them in the ...