Wednesday, October 10, 2018

18 YEARS

Today is our 18 year anniversary. I loved everything about that day, and I wouldn't change anything since. Good and bad, he is meant for me. That being said, I have been dreading this day for the last few weeks. Monday was rough, I skipped my workout and stayed in bed as long as I could before my kids started to think something was really wrong...just putting off dealing with another day of waiting. 

Tuesday, I skipped my workout again for the same reason. I knew I was going to have my friends and coaches texting me because unless I'm out of town, I don't know the last time I skipped two days in a row. I texted them and told them I would be there today so I had to show up. 

I was meeting my friend Debbie at Nordstrom for lunch so I told Brandon to call me around 1:30. Deb and I had lunch and had started shopping when Brandon called. I didn't think anything about it and picked up. Deb was looking at some leggings and as soon as I heard his voice I could feel something was different. Within the first few sentences I heard, "I've been accepted for community corrections!" 

I must've said or had a look on my face that made Debbie nervous because she asked what he said. I'll never forget putting my phone on speaker and repeated it as we were standing there in the middle of the Lingerie/sleepwear department hugging and quietly screaming! It was unreal, I couldn't wrap my mind around it and I was so surprised to hear it but especially from him! I thought I would know before he would. 

Deb and I were ecstactic,  I was so happy she was there with me when I found out, she grew up with both Brandon and I so it was all the more special since she loves him almost as much as I do. :) He didn't know any other details than that but it was enough. With our anniversary being the next day, it was perfectly welcomed timing.

This morning, I got up with a smile on my face and hurried to the gym where I told all my friends he had been accepted. These people have been the best therapy I could have, keeping me accountable and making me push myself everyday throughout this 3 year ordeal. I will never be able to thank them enough for supporting me, making me laugh and almost cry during some of those awful workouts that are so good for me physically, but mentally and emotionally for sure. They have saved me these last 8 1/2 months.

I have always known it's just a matter of time that this entire nightmare would come to an end. Everyday I wondered if today would be the day as far as Brandon no longer being in Rifle. Everyday has come and gone without any news, so when Brandon called me to say happy anniversary, then asked if I wanted the good or the bad news first, I froze. I was about to empty the trash can and I just stopped, I told him I can't take any bad news, please don't tell me. He laughed and said I had to choose, so I told him to tell me the bad news. He said he won't be able to spend the day with me for our anniversary but  that he is being moved on Tuesday, next week! I was stunned, this was truly the absolute the best anniversary present I have ever received, I am still in disbelief. He will be here next week around us, aside from sleeping here, our life will be somewhat back to normal and I could not be happier. 

I never thought I would be able to post on here that it has finally happened, he really is coming home. I have been so scared to hope, I have prepped myself so much for bad news, I couldn't even really comprehend good news! It's actually really hard for me to put into words, I have been so afraid to get my hopes up for fear of feeling that familiar heartbreaking, bullet to my heart. I have been guarding it, I sort of feel numb, and maybe I won't break down with tears of joy and gratitude until he is actually standing in front of me in plain clothes, his clothes. I can't imagine it but I know by this time next week, he will be 20 minutes from me. It's just like high school again, follow specific rules.... I can do that, I've done it before, 20 years ago! 


I don't know how long he will have to stay there, we've heard 90 days but we really don't know. I am just going to focus on the fact that he is here. He can't sleepover but other than that, our bigger than life husband and Dad will be back in our lives.

I am so grateful for so many things for so many reasons.  I'm sure this post is all over the place because that is exactly how I feel. I haven't touched his clothes since he left, and now it doesn't seem so depressing to pack him a suitcase full of clothes and a real, full sized toothbrush! The little luxuries in life are truly appreciated.

My kids are grinning from ear to ear. They are so excited for Maggie to come next weekend with Bevin,  Sara and their kids. We are so excited we don't have to drive to Rifle anymore to see Brandon, I will miss seeing the people there that I have come to know. The kids know we will be having lots of company as people have already been asking when they can come and see him...the holiday season is going to be full of so much love and true, true joy!

Brandon Stephens, Weld County Jail, Wood Group, Sentenced, 5 Years, Prison, NFL, DRDC, Rifle Correctional Center, Colorado Department of Corrections, Jail, Judge Quammen, Steve Wrenn, Weld County, Executive, Oil, Gas, White Collar, Wood, BYU, Masters Degree, Colorado State University, SWIFT, Firefighter, Wildland, Sawyer, Fire, Inmate, Brandon Stokey, Miracles, Centennial Community Correctional Center, Delta Correctional Center, DRDC, Denver Diagnostic and Reception Center, Felony, Sallie Stephens, Greeley Tribune, Judge Thomas Quammen, DA Steve Wrenn, Weld County Court, Oil & Gas,. Halfway House, Centennial Community Correction Center, CCTC

3 comments:

  1. Weekends are going to be so much better, as will life! Yeah he is getting out!,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!!! I'm so happy for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Boss.
    Congratulations on your anniversary. I know it is a tough time right now, but with the Lord's help you can make it through. I pray for you and your family every day. I would like to send you some books to read and I just need an address and the correct way to get it to you. Faith is your servant and you must allow faith to get you through.
    God bless you
    Love you
    Harold Wright Sr

    ReplyDelete

Home

Shortly before the sun peaked over the Rocky Mountains this morning, I packed up a few last items from my bachelors pad, loaded them in the ...