Tuesday, March 6, 2018

my dad

Hi. My name is Navy. Navy Stephens of course. Today is March 6th, and it has been 41 days since my dad left. I admit, It has been such a rollercoaster of emotions. I have felt all kinds of sad, but happiness at the same time. My dad is all things funny, kind, caring, smart, everything. But he has always been protective. Too protective. But I guess that's a dads job. And I dont blame him for being protective over me, I am just like my mom. A little crazy. But funny, and pretty. (shoutout to you mom, we rock!) I love my dad so much. He is the pure sunshine in my life. He is everyones. He has always had my back. When I was born, I was born early. Really, really early. Yep that's right, I'm just high maiteninence. I was diagnosed with mild Cerebal Palsy which can have different side affects. Some people have it worse. They could be in a wheelchair, some can't even walk, maybe even talk. I on the other hand, can talk, and can walk. I have had many surgeries as my life went on and I grew up. I honestly don't even know how to explain it, I have always thought negativley about it. Only because it hurts to walk sometimes, I get tired easily, and I can't do sports as easily either. I have always been quiet about it, I hate talking about it. But let me break it down, my dad says I got the looks, maggie has the athletics, jack is the idiot, and lizza is the baby. And if I do say so, looks to me is what matters. My dad always told me I am special. He says that it isn't fair to be diagnosed with something I don't deserve, but it's a quality that makes me, me. He says I shouldn't be ashamed of my scars, or embarrased because of it. This is for you dad. So here I am, taking my dads words in and apprecitaing them now. I shouldn't be hiding my insecurites. Insecurities to me, are the most beautiful things about you. Every surgery I have ever had, my dad stands by me & always knew how to make me laugh when I was in pain. And that is something I adore. He always finds the humor in everything. If I had a bad day at school, people are mean for no reason, dad just always said they are just some dumb boys and people who haven't matured yet. And at that moment, I just didn't listen because I was mad. I just didn't get it. But now, I know if my dad could give any advice to me he doesn't say it to make it worse, he says it to make the situation better. We go from rap music sessions in his truck, to sushi dates, to going around to every gas station trying to find caramel sunflower seeds, to selfies, to dancing in the living room, from scaring boys off when they are nearby, to watching scary movies, to sneaking candy to the movie theater, from his famous eggs he makes in the morning, even waking up to the sound of the office theme song. I see true love when I watch my mom with him. It's like watching teenagers. Not joking. I am proud of my mom. She is really amazing. I've never looked up to someone so much. I love my sisters maggie, and lizza. Built in best friends are the best. I love Jack. He is the man of the house now, and yet he protects and makes us girls happy. It really is the little moments that count. And I don't wanna focus on the negative of this. I wanna get up and get through this. Not sit back and be sad. That is not me. It shouldnt be anyone either. And although it is so hard to get up everyday and choose to go to school, I do it for my dad. And I will do anything for dad. To make him proud of me. So keep your head up, for God gives his hardest battles to his strongest soilders. Cheers to you dad, I love you so much.


-Navy Blue


Brandon Stephens, Weld County Jail, Wood Group, Sentenced, 5 Years, Prison, NFL, DRDC, Rifle Correctional Center, Colorado Department of Corrections, Jail, Judge Quammen, Steve Wrenn, Weld County, Executive, Oil, Gas, White Collar, Wood, BYU, Masters Degree, Colorado State University, SWIFT, Firefighter, Wildland, Sawyer, Fire, Inmate, Brandon Stokey, Miracles, Centennial Community Correctional Center, Delta Correctional Center, DRDC, Denver Diagnostic and Reception Center, Felony, Sallie Stephens, Greeley Tribune, Judge Thomas Quammen, DA Steve Wrenn, Weld County Court, Oil & Gas

5 comments:

  1. You are as strong and beautiful as your incredible parents. What an amazing family. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you reason for staying positive, to make your very special dad happy. Love your essay, Navy. Yaya Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Navy, you are amazing! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Navy, this is so sweet! It's so sweet to hear your feelings for your Dad. He is loved by all and will be back home before you know it. Keep being a"strong soldier." :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you Navy Girl! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We’re all here for you and love you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

Home

Shortly before the sun peaked over the Rocky Mountains this morning, I packed up a few last items from my bachelors pad, loaded them in the ...