Thursday, March 1, 2018

DRDC Part II

I knew that if I was going to survive being locked down I would need to get into a routine. Here is the schedule that I came up with-

6:00am- Wake up-Bible study/Journal
7:30-8:00am-exercise (push-ups, sit ups, dips, curls-with my laundry bag)
8:00am-11:30- Read
11:30-12 noon- Lunch
12 pm-4:00pm- Read
4:00-5:00pm- Exercise 
5:00pm-5:30pm- Dinner
5:30-9:00pm- Read
9:00- Lights Out

The biggest problem that I ran into was not knowing exactly what time it was-there aren't any clocks in here. However, the guards have to do headcounts at a certain time each day and meals were on a regular schedule. Whenever one of these milestones happened I would mark a spot on the wall where the sun was shining through my window and write the time. So after one day, I had about 8 different marks on the wall with a corresponding time so I could run my routine. When you are locked in a cell 24/7 you quickly realize how many things you take for granted. Just being able to walk outside, see the sky and breathe fresh air becomes a dream. You realize how much you miss basic human interaction-and I started to feel so guilty for all the time I didn't or wouldn't put my stupid phone down to talk to my wife or my kids. 

I've never been a claustrophobic person, that was one of Sallie's deals I never understood. But after 24 hours in that cell, I started to feel somewhat panicked about being in there. Somehow, someway, I made it through the 100 hours of isolation. 

On Tuesday, January 30, I heard the computer clicking open all of our cell doors and an announcement came that the flu lock down had officially been lifted. They were giving us 2 hours out of our cells. I wanted to use my phone list (3 phone numbers) but a background check had to be done before you could call. That whole process could take up to 1 week, so I wouldn't be calling anyone anytime soon. 

As all of the inmates gathered on the Pod floor, it was impossible not to be a little intimidated by the appearance of some of the inmates. Shaved heads with tattoos all over their heads, faces, arms, bodies and legs. The gang signs were prevalent. I thought that I would be able to just keep to myself but immediately people started approaching me and I quickly figured out that I was being recruited by different gangs. Aryan Nation, The Northerners, The Southerners, Bloods, etc...it was like I was a gang career fair.

As each different group approached me, I couldn't help but ask more about each gang-
Do you guys have a mission statement? 
What are your core values? 
What would my benefit package look like? 
Do I have to shave my head? 
Do I need a tattoo? 
I've got alot of really good friends who are brown, black, white, short, tall, do I have to cut ties? 

I was a recruit-it was the best I had felt in days.

After about 2 hours being out of our cells, the guards informed us that we needed to return to our cells, As I returned to my cell, I found myself wishing that the gang recruiters had pamphlets or pass along cards that could help me in deciding who to join.

I remember Joseph Smith's plight that can be found in Joseph Smith History 1:10 or 11. I think its says, "In the midst of this war of words and tumult of opinions, I often said to myself: What is to be done? Who of all these parties are right; or are they all wrong together? If anyone of them be right, which is it, and how shall I know it?" ( it might not be quoted exactly as I am recalling from memory) 

After contemplating all of the gang doctrines that had been presented, I came to the same conclusion as Joseph (minus the Heavenly Messengers) that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong. When were let out for dinner, I let each of the recruiters know that I would not being joining their gang-I would remain in  my own gang consisting of one hot blond, 4 really good kids and a dog. Our gang should be considered "neutral” and friendly to all. 😁

On day 5, I was approached by the guards about being a "Porter". A Porter is essentially a janitor for the Pod. You clean cells, showers, halls, empty garbage and deliver laundry. Ironically enough, the reason I was approached was because I did not have any gang affiliations. Many of the inmates in Pod 3 are not allowed to be Porters because they are too high risk to be allowed out of their cells. About 50% of Pod 3 was only allowed out of their cells to take a shower-and even the shower had locks on it.

As a Porter you are typically out of your cell 75% of the day doing your janitorial duties. You also get special phone privileges and allowed to use the phones just about anytime. I jumped on this opportunity and being a Porter really helped pass the time. Eventually my phone list was approved and I was able to call Sal and the kids on a regular basis. I was even allowed to watch the SuperBowl.

I was also able to meet with a case manager. Case managers are responsible for scoring inmates based on a number of criteria (current crime, family, education, criminal history). The results of the scoring determines what kind of facility you are ultimately sent to. The scale looks like this:
0-4 Minimum
5-8 Minimum Restricted
9-14 Medium
15-18 Maximum
18+ Super Maximum
I received a score of 3 so I was told that I would be going to a minimum security facility or "camp" as they are called. In the State of Colorado, there are 4 minimum facilities-Canon City, Delta, Rifle and Golden. Now it was just a matter of waiting for a spot to open up at one of these facilities and I would be done with DRDC.

As I waited to be sent out to one of these camps, I actually enjoyed getting to know alot of the other inmates in Pod 3. I regularly ate dinner and had conversations with people that had committed atrocious crimes-murder, human trafficking, armed robbery etc...and I will tell you this- they were pretty normal conversations. So many of these inmates come from such complicated life situations. I know that as I got to know people in here, I've had alot of empathy for the horrific backgrounds that many of them were raised in. That's never an excuse for committing some of these crimes, but its certainly a factor.

After 10 long days in DRDC, I was informed that I was finally being moved to a different facility. Unfortunately, the facility I was being moved to was not my final destination-just another holding facility. I was happy to be moving but disappointed to still not know where my final destination would be. The name of the holding facility was cell house 5- the name made me smile. Not just because the name sounds like a horror movie but because Cell House 5 is a historical legend that I happened to have read alot about...


Brandon Stephens, Weld County Jail, Wood Group, Sentenced, 5 Years, Prison, NFL, DRDC, Rifle Correctional Center, Colorado Department of Corrections, Jail, Judge Quammen, Steve Wrenn, Weld County, Executive, Oil, Gas, White Collar, Wood, BYU, Masters Degree, Colorado State University, SWIFT, Firefighter, Wildland, Sawyer, Fire, Inmate, Brandon Stokey, Miracles, Centennial Community Correctional Center, Delta Correctional Center, DRDC, Denver Diagnostic and Reception Center, Felony, Sallie Stephens, Greeley Tribune, Judge Thomas Quammen, DA Steve Wrenn, Weld County Court, Oil & Gas,. Halfway House, Centennial Community Correction Center, CCTC, Felon, 416 Fire, Silver Creek Fire, Spring Fire, Cabin Lake Fire, SWIFT Run, 1.5 miles, Fire, Fighter, Brandon Stokey, Running for my life, Elder Gary Stevenson, Quorum of the Twelve, Apostles,


5 comments:

  1. We love you guys and are rooting for you and your family. Thanks for letting us hear about your journey. It sucks. But your humor and good nature is infectious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your unwavering ability to approach life with humor and sarcasm is admirable and intoxicating. To make the best of any situation, spin it, and laugh/smile in the face of adversity defines your personality as one of your greatest strengths - and a gift from God to those around you. Thank you! You outline some very tough circumstances, I applaud your ability to make it through. You're doing great, keep it up Andy Dufrane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reads like a novel and I will be first in line to purchase it when it becomes one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m dead. You’re the best writer. I’m giggling and transfixed. Love and prayers always god this gorgeous family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah man. Your recruitment account was amazing. Thank you for your attitude and example of dealing with whatever situation and not letting this define you as your reaction to it really shows who you are.

    ReplyDelete

Home

Shortly before the sun peaked over the Rocky Mountains this morning, I packed up a few last items from my bachelors pad, loaded them in the ...